Call Us: 01793 852951
Ladder fall: £850k fine after window installer breaks knee cap
A window installer fell three metres from an unsecured ladder, breaking his knee cap, an investigation has found.
The accident happened when the worker was attempting to install a first-floor rear bedroom window of a property on Cemetery Road, Doncaster.
Employed by H.P.A.S Limited (trading as Safestyle UK) at the time of the accident on 1 March, 2017, the operative was climbing a ladder that was not footed or tied and it slipped. He fell and sustained injuries which required surgery.
The HSE’s investigation found:
• the company’s system for planning work at height was inadequate in that it failed to ensure that work was carried out in a safe manner
• windows were not routinely installed from the inside
• ladders were used in a way that constituted serious risk
• there was no system of monitoring or supervision in place
• operatives were left to their own devices.
As an employer are you up to date with your risk assessments? or maybe this is something completely new to you and you could do with a helping hand. Safewells Health and Safety team can help by providing the correct information and guidance to get your company up to speed. For more information and to contact safewell click here…