Safety Critical Medical
Safety Critical Medical
During the coronavirus pandemic our occupational health service is still operational and we have moved, for some services, to paper based occupational health screening and telephone / video call based occupational health assessments. Safety Critical Medicals can be carried out face to face. See below for details and call to arrange. Visit our normal occupational health services…
What is a Safety Critical Medical
Under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 employers have a duty of care to prevent the ill-health of their workers. This is relevant to those employed in safety-critical tasks such as construction, working at height and mobile plant operators. Safety-critical workers (SCW) should not be suffering from medical conditions or undergoing any medical treatment which could lead to a sudden loss of consciousness or incapacity, impairment of awareness, concentration, balance or coordination or significant limitation of mobility. The term “safety critical work” is defined as “Where the ill health of an individual may compromise their ability to undertake a task defined as safety critical, thereby posing a significant risk to the health and safety of others.” (CBH, 2015). Safewell Ltd can offer Safety Critical Medicals as outlined by HSE. The medicals include:
- A baseline questionnaire to establish current and previous medical history and/or treatment ongoing treatment
- Blood Pressure checks – Cardiovascular
- Height, weight and BMI
- Audiometry -hearing tests
- Lung Function tests
- Skin Assessments
- HAVs assessments (if required)
- Visual Acuity, colour vision and peripheral vision
- Muscular-skeletal assessment
The outcome is a ‘Fitness for Work’ certificate issued to the employee and the employer.
Who can we carry out a Safety Critical Medicals for
- Individuals who need to demonstrate they are fit to work prior to employment (typically this is for self employed trades and those workers being placed via an agency. Payment in advance for individuals.
- Employees – to be arranged by their employers either at your site or work place, or at our offices in Royal Wootton Bassett
Where can a Safety Critical Medical be Carried Out
Safety Critical Medicals can be carried out at our offices in Royal Wootton Bassett or at your site. We aim to get Safety Critical medicals turned around quickly as we find they tend to have fairly critical timelines too!
Call or message the Team to book an appointment
Call us on 01793 852951 or use one of the contact forms on this page to get in touch